Thinking of listing your home for sale and not sure of exactly where to start? You are in luck! Included in the following information are the basics of getting your home sold. The best news of all is that the Maria Thorn Team will be working along side of you to get the job done. One more bit of good news before we get into the process – we, as Realtors, do not get paid unless your home is SOLD for a price that you are willing to accept.
There are several steps involved in the process. For a quick version – see the “Seller Roadmap” below and know that this is a general timeline – every listing is “one of a kind” and all situations are different. Here are the 8 steps:
- MEET WITH REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONAL. There is no commitment on your part financially at this point, simply an investment in time to go through the educational process of the additional steps required to get your house sold.
While meeting with our team, we will take a tour of your home to view it from a buyer’s point of view. We will then discuss with you your objectives, such as your reason for moving, the desired time frame for the move, and if you have a need for a new home to purchase. It is helpful and part of the marketing strategy get to know what is important to you and the sense of urgency you may have to help us establish the sales price.
- PRICING. Setting the correct price is the first and most important factor in selling the house quickly. Regardless of what you may think your house is worth on paper, in truth the market, i.e. buyers’ past behavior, is the most accurate way to establish a proper price to your property. We will present you with a comparative market analysis (CMA) of like homes sold near you to help determine a price for the house. The comparative market analysis (CMA) is a guide to both buyers and sellers’ agents to establish a fair price for both parties. If you are not receptive to the CMA data, you run the risk of having your home sit on the market for an extended length of time, potentially costing you money in the long run. Studies have shown that a seller will get the highest price for his or her home if it is priced correctly from the beginning rather than going through one or more price reductions through the process.
- PREPARING HOUSE FOR SALE. Once we establish the most reasonable list price, we will move towards preparing the house for sale. This is the reason for the initial walk through. We will make some helpful suggestions, perhaps suggesting improvement of the landscaping or removing personal item so that the space is shown at it’s best for the potential buyers. Something to always remember – The LESS of your things a buyers see’s, the more they can imagine their OWN things in the house.
- LISTING HOUSE for SALE. Once the home is prepared for sale, we will hire our professional photographer to take pictures of the house and property to present online to potential buyers. Also at this time we will place a for sale sign in the yard, put a lockbox on the door and list the property in the multiple listing site (MLS). *** While the home is on the market, buyers or buyer’s agents will request appointments to view the house. We will have established a desired amount of time to be notified before a showing, but it is always advantageous to be able to accommodate a potential buyer. Sometimes an appointment will be requested with “short notice”. Therefore, it is imperative to do what you can to keep your home “show ready”. Remember, this is a numbers game, so the more buyers that see the house, the better the chance that a suitable offer (or multiple offers!) will be received.
- OFFERS AND NEGOTIATIONS. An agent will present us with an offer. We will review the offer and discuss our options. The offer will be ACCEPTABLE, REJECTABLE or close enough to send a COUNTER offer.
- UNDER CONTRACT. If satisfactory terms are reached, both parties will sign the purchase agreement and the home will officially be “under contract”. The buyer will usually perform a physical inspection of the home and may request items to be repaired before purchasing the home. At this time, we will advise you of your options regarding the repair request (if any).
- FINAL DETAILS. While under contract, the buyer will work with his or her lender (provided this is not a cash purchase) to obtain the necessary funds to purchase the home and perform other due diligence as needed. This typically takes between 30 and 45 calendar days.
- CLOSING. You are now packed and ready to move out of the house. The final transfer of funds and ownership occurs at the closing. The title attorney will explain the details of the actual sale with you and the buyer and answer any questions either party may have. Once paperwork is all signed and you have received payment, the home now belongs to the new owner and you are moving on to your next chapter.
To view homes currently for sale – www.mariathornteam.com
The Maria Thorn Team is ready to get start on this journey of listing your home for sale. Call us at 225-933-9542.
Maria Thorn, Realtor EXP Realty, LLC 16159 State Bank Dr., Ste B, Prairieville, LA 70769 email@example.com 225-933-9542 - Cell 225-412-9982 Ext 172 - Office Licensed in State of LA